Friday, May 14, 2010

Black oil sunflower seed sprouts?

I feed the wild birds in my yard black oil sunflower seeds. some took to sprout...will they flower? I have potted them and they are growing very well, (4"now)

Black oil sunflower seed sprouts?
I had that happen to me last year. I had about 40 sunflowers in my flower bed. Some got to be more than six feet tall and the stalk was about 4 inches. As the flower blooms started to shrivel I would cut them (the ones I could reach) and put them under a tree to dry out and the birds and squirrels had a hay day with them. But be careful if you have them in your flower bed because seeds will drop and they will sprout the following year.
Reply:Yes, they will grow, and get sunflower heads on them, and when they are ripe, VOILA!...you have more sunflower seeds. Better grow them OUTSIDE in the garden, they can get pretty big.


No comments:

Post a Comment