Friday, May 21, 2010

How do i sprout sunflower seeds for my parakeet?

i got from sunflower seeds (from hamster mix), can i sprout them and feed it to my parakeet? how do i do it? what other seeds can i sprout for parakeet?

How do i sprout sunflower seeds for my parakeet?
I am so thrilled that you're asking this question.


I've been sprouting for my parrots every day for the


last 10 years. I believe it's one of the best foods


that you can feed to them. When you sprout a seed or


legume, all the stored up energy for creating life


becomes active, and it's a powerhouse of nutrients.





There are a few things you need to know before


starting.





First, you shouldn't sprout the stuff from hamster, or


even bird seed mixes. They're not high quality, and you need to have high quality seeds for health reasons. From


the research that I have done, it seems that the only


cases of sprouts tainted with E. coli were ones from


seeds that were not organically grown. That's because


traditional farmers use straight-from-the-butt manure,


which is where E. coli comes from. Organic farmers


use only composted manure, and that process kills any


E. coli.





So, that means you should only sprout organic seeds


and legumes. You can find them at any health food store (Whole Foods, if you have one of those near you) usually in the bulk bins. Sometimes you can buy premixed little pouches of seeds for sprouting, but they're usually more expensive and don't always use organic seeds.





The sprouting:


(I always prefer to use glass or stainless steel)


1. In a jar (I use a mason jar) put in up to 1/3 seeds and fill the rest with water.


2. Let soak for 8-10 hours (I soak over night, or when I'm at work).


3. Drain into colander.


4. Rinse well under the faucet, while flipping the seeds (30 seconds is good).


5. When finished rinsing, keep flipping seeds to drain excess water.


6. Let sit for around 12 hours (it doesn't have to be exact).


7. Repeat steps 4-6 for 3-5 times. Within this time you'll start to see them sprouting. It's up to you how long you want them to sprout. I prefer to stop when I see a little tail.


8. The last time you rinse them, let them sit for another 12 or so hours (step 6) but instead of rinsing them, put them into a plastic container and pop them in the fridge (don't rinse before storing them, as they'll be too wet).





You'll have sprouts that will last at least a week.





It's seems more difficult than it is. I've done it everyday for the last 10 years.





If you have any questions, just email me.
Reply:g day some people make it sound so difficult, to sprout your sunflowers just put them in the ground and water them, ive been doing this for the last 20 years and they work just fine.


make sure you plant a few more than you need and when they sprout thin them out ( pull the weak ones out ), i have found that the normal sunflowers do better than the grey-striped ones, make sure you sow them in spring though summer and they will grow just fine


No comments:

Post a Comment