Monday, November 16, 2009

What is happening with my young sunflower sprout?

My sunflower sprout is planted in a cup of fertilized potting soil. It is 9.5 inches tall and has 3 pairs of leaves, with 1 very young pair of buds near the top. Most of the stem is covered in little white fuzzy hairs. The bottom pair of leaves is turning yellow and limp, does anyone know why? I am planning to replant the sunflower soon. Should I add fertilizer? I remember the same thing happened to a friend of mine but it was planted in open soil outside. I water it every few days and it is sprouted VERY quickly when I planted it. It is a black oil sunflower and I got the seed from a bird feeder. Does anyone know why the bottom pair of leaves is turning yellow?

What is happening with my young sunflower sprout?
Probably getting root bound. transplant it soon and don't worry about fertilizer. Just water regularly and make sure it s in the sun. Just one?
Reply:I work in a retail green house with 4" to 5gal pots. Horticulture Dept grows them from seeds/plugs in those pots depending on their growth potential. At your plant's stage it is ready for a bigger pot. The yellow leaves are due to watering. The bigger the plant, smaller the pot - harder it is to maintain ideal water conditions. Replanting it into a 1 gal pot will keep it going awhile once it gets over that shock or you could just be brave and put it in the ground. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment